Thursday, January 24, 2013

[Update] Portable Ham Radio Setup

I recently added this piece to my portable setup.


It's a drive-on flag pole mount made by Boone Outdoor Hardware. Originally it's designed for mounting a flag pole and displaying your favorite sports team's flag while tailgating. It was $25 from the fine folks at etrailer.com. They also make a flag pole to go with it.

FYI etrailer.com has exceptional service, they carry lots of stuff that I've considered for another hobby of mine, boating.

Anyway, like any good radio ham, I found an alternative use for it.

My idea is that on a road trip or any other outing, there may not be an easy to access place to set up my painter's pole to for raising my Buddipole antenna.

With this piece I would just find a good spot to park the car, put the mount near the tire, run over it, pop the pole in the mount and assemble the antenna.

The pole seems to be held solidly in the mount. it has a set screw to hold it tight. I would keep a close eye on it in any kind of wind. However it is designed to hold a much taller mast than my painter's pole. Something to consider is using the foam bumper it comes with so it doesn't damage your car.

Another consideration is the Buddipole is documented as having a sensitivity to nearby metal objects ie. a vehicle. I haven't tested it in the field yet to see what effects if any this will have on the antenna.

I plan to test this setup soon and will report back what I find.

Youtube Link: Drive-On Antenna Mount

I also picked up this sweet folding hand cart for trucking all my crap around. It works well and folds up nice and compact.

It only cost me $25 bucks from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment