Monday, January 14, 2013

Axial SCX10 Dingo Kit




I built this kit back in July 2012, so I've had a lot of time to play with it and form some opinions. This kit has been reviewed to death, but here's my two cents.




The kit was a pleasure to build and aside of a couple small issues, It went together quickly. Axial provides good instructions for assembly. I'm an intermediate level kit builder and I put the whole thing together in an evening.




 My stock configuration (parts that didn't come with the kit):
  • 27 turn Axial motor
  • HiTec HS645-MG
  • Spectrum DX3E Radio and Receiver
  • Novak Super Duty XR
  • Venom Power 3600mah NIMH battery
  • Traxxas EZ Peak Plus 6 amp charger

The steering servo and ESC came from a Clodbuster tube chassis truck I built a long time ago. It had dual motors and was run off a 12V 7 amp UPS battery. That thing screamed. The servo is way under powered for this truck. You need at least a 200oz servo for the SCX10.




My list of Pros:
  • Lot's of upgrade options
  • Fun kit to build
  • Extremely capable right out of the box

My list of cons:
  • Long steering radius
  • Sloppy drive train
  • High center of gravity
Modifications:
  • Hot Racing high clearance steering knuckles
  • Robotronics servo arm
  • Axial AX10 axles
  • Relocated battery tray to the front and ESC to the rear





Once I made the steering enhancements, the truck became even more capable. The only issue I have now is while relocating the battery tray I had to put spacers under it to raise it so the front suspension would have full travel. Well that raised the CG enough cause problems in high angle situations. A battery solution that lowers the CG might be worth a try. I could also see getting a set of upgrade shocks, the stock plastic body shocks work, but leave something to be desired on the trail.




It's a great truck for the money, I would definitely suggest it to someone wanting to build a very capable off-road truck that should keep you tinkering for a while.





It has loads of adjustments and plenty of upgrade options that won't break your bank account.

Now go outside and rip up the trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment