Sunday, January 13, 2013

Android Digital Signage App

I posted this in another blog back in October of 2012. I've consolidated blogs an moved this post here.

Project Start

I'm starting a project to develop an Android App.

My experience:
I've never written software before. I've created utility scripts and and web sites, but nothing on the level of java programming. I feel like with all the examples to learn from and community help, I should be able to learn quickly what I need to write this app. However, If there is some out there with some programming experience that is interested in to turning this into a commercial app please contact me for more possibility of working together. Or just steal my idea and create it yourself, whatever works.

App Description:
The concept is an android based digital signage app that will run on any Android platform. My app will be developed to run on the MK802 mini-computer. The MK802 is the perfect platform for a distributed digital signage computer. It's small form factor, low cost, low power consumption, high resolution HDMI and USB ports, and built in wireless make it very flexible for something of this nature. These types of device seem to be gaining in popularity which is good for the future of the app.

The idea is to attach a MK802 to the back of any monitor with compatible input and configure the app to receive the desired RSS feeds and other signage data for public display.

Layouts:
The app will have several different screen layouts for displaying the desired information. For example, on layout might contain a image slideshow only. Other layouts will be combinations of slideshows, RSS feeds and weather data. Things like images and videos will be stored either on the device flash or a SD card or a central server where they can be updated and distributed to all the signage nodes.

Some configuration settings might include slide durations, video playback schedules, RSS crawl speeds, fonts and text color. All information windows within the layout will be configurable for data source.

I have a MK802 being delivered soon. I have all the development tools downloaded but not yet configured. Once I have everything set up, I'll start with a couple of beginner's tutorials.

Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any helpful to say.

4 comments:

  1. You are a brave man and I can only wish you great success in your first android digital signage application development. I have the similar experience as you however I don't feel ready enough to design the android application. Please, continue inform about your moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've been toying around with making simple apps and testing them on the MK802. I haven't done anything spectacular yet. I'm hoping someone with some real experience is willing to collaborate with me.

      Delete
  2. I must say that you really did your best way to improve and explore your skill. Also the effort you give just to develop an android digital signage. This kind of an interesting project for their application. I'll be waiting for your next put up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! I definately enjoy every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff of your blog a must read blog!!!! led products

    android based digital signage

    ReplyDelete