Sunday, October 20, 2013

HPI Vorza Update - Thoughts after some time behind the wheel

After having some time behind the wheel of my HPI Vorza Flux I have a few opinions. Some good, Some not so good. The only so far upgrades are 6S Turnigy, 19/46 gearing and a Spektrum DX3e Radio.

First off I think buying the Vorza was money well spent. It embodies my attitude engineered into a RC buggy. It's mean, fast, capable, engineered, durable, and a shit-ton of fun!

Having the D-8 genetics it has a lot of adjustments you would find in a racer. Being a tinkerer, I really like that. I like messing with different set ups that are true racing adjustments. Unlike most racers some key parts are beefed up, I assume to make it more durable, because after all it's considered a basher.

Being beefy also means being heavy. That translates into poorer than usual handling. I have tried many different setups using the stock suspension parts and although it goes like a stabbed rat, it still seems to have under and over steering issues. A lot of that I feel has to do with having lots of power and useless stock tires. I have completely trashed the stock tires and it's time to upgrade to a set of PL Badlands, which seem to be the ipso facto tire choice for the Vorza. I'm sure things will change drastically with a new set of tires.

My biggest complaint with the buggy is how sloppy the drivetrain, suspension, and steering is. I think it suffers from driving accuracy because of it. I'm not sure there is any way to fix these issues without spending lots of money on aftermarket parts. Upgrading the stock steering servo will likely go a long way to tighten up the steering slop.

All that said I love this buggy! I don't plan to race it, I only plan to make it the meanest, fastest, best tuned basher I can. Other than tires and more batteries, I think I'll leave it the way it is and save my money for a racer. I like the new TLR 22-4.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I had to do it all over. If you are considering getting one, check out all the YouTube videos and decide if it looks like something you would buy. The only advice I have is to buy some replacement parts right away. Drive shafts and suspension parts tend to parish under 6S power. Also a 6S pack tends to make the car heavy on the left side. So maybe do a 4 or 5 cell just to keep the weight even. That might balance the performance slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment